Despite all the vagaries of weather, the show must go on
LAST week of winter in many parts of the world is coloured by the bright colors of the carnival – the fun, boisterous and loud holiday of the year. Although parades and festivities are held in many cities around the world, the most famous Venetian carnival, carnivals of Brazil, “the Mardi Grae” in New Orleans and “women’s carnival” in Cologne.
Today more attention is drawn to the carnival in New Orleans – “the Mardi Grae”. Despite the fact that in September last year, a large part of the city was destroyed struck the U.S. by hurricane Katrina. which claimed the lives of over a thousand people, the city government decided to cancel the traditional festivities.
According to bi-Bi-si, to hurricane Katrina in New Orleans annually gathered to stare at balls, masquerades and parades around a million people, they brought the city to a billion dollars. This year for the number of guests no one hopes, though, because visitors simply nowhere to place it. Before the hurricane in New Orleans hotels was 38 thousand beds. Now there are 25 thousand, and most of them are nonresident workers or locals, which Katrina left homeless. And the number of flights to new Orleans after the hurricane was reduced dramatically. Nevertheless, newspaper routes appear festive marches and schedule of events Continue reading
I think all the winter holidays are already over? The fun and joy? It’s only the beginning! In fact ahead of February is the most festive month of the year. There can be not only of good fun and dance, but also delicious to eat. It is not surprising that on such a fabulous celebration attracts tourists from all over the world. Who doesn’t want to wear a mask or carnival costume and join this colorful occasion?!
Today we talk about the most colorful festivals in the coldest month of the year – about the carnivals . I think if you get a chance to spend your vacation in this period in the country of carnival, the impressions you leave with the warmest of winter days spent there. Do not deny yourself the pleasure of good fun before lent
To this carnival of Brazil is preparing for a year, and in the last week of February all just go crazy in anticipation of the holiday. Four days and four nights of the Brazilian summer – that carnival in Rio de Janeiro! He has already become a global event that attracts more than a million tourists.
Officially it opens the King of carnival, a fictional character – Momo (for four days the town is ruled Continue reading
Folklore and tradition come in a selection of photos of the strangest festivals on five continents.
1. Competition in the highlands of Scotland. Party games, dressed in a traditional Scottish kilt, will compete in the hammer throw, in the contest which is held in Glenfinnan. Traditional Scottish games consist of competitions, dances, food and drinks to relax from everyday work.
2. Beltane Fire Festival, Scotland. “the Celts” with bare torsos raise the torches during the Festival of Beltane fire near Carlton hill in Edinburgh. These annual festivities are a modern revival of the ancient Celtic celebration of the arrival of summer.
3. Holiday naked men. Hadaka Matsuri (literally, the feast of naked men) in Okayama, Japan, is a traditional festival which has been celebrated for 1200 years. Picture was taken in winter, the temperature is about 9 degrees. Men dive into the icy water, passing the rite of purification.
4. Vegetarian festival, Thailand. Believers temple at Bang Neow, participate in the parade of vegetarian festival on Phuket island in Thailand, stick a weapon in itself, in protest. Chinese immigrants gave rise to this Taoist ceremony in 1825, when people who believe in God, ate vegetarian food to be saved from the epidemic.
5. Holiday hens in Wayne, Nebraska. Continue reading