Folklore and tradition come in a selection of photos of the strangest festivals on five continents.
1. Competition in the highlands of Scotland. Party games, dressed in a traditional Scottish kilt, will compete in the hammer throw, in the contest which is held in Glenfinnan. Traditional Scottish games consist of competitions, dances, food and drinks to relax from everyday work.
2. Beltane Fire Festival, Scotland. “the Celts” with bare torsos raise the torches during the Festival of Beltane fire near Carlton hill in Edinburgh. These annual festivities are a modern revival of the ancient Celtic celebration of the arrival of summer.
3. Holiday naked men. Hadaka Matsuri (literally, the feast of naked men) in Okayama, Japan, is a traditional festival which has been celebrated for 1200 years. Picture was taken in winter, the temperature is about 9 degrees. Men dive into the icy water, passing the rite of purification.
4. Vegetarian festival, Thailand. Believers temple at Bang Neow, participate in the parade of vegetarian festival on Phuket island in Thailand, stick a weapon in itself, in protest. Chinese immigrants gave rise to this Taoist ceremony in 1825, when people who believe in God, ate vegetarian food to be saved from the epidemic.
5. Holiday hens in Wayne, Nebraska. Continue reading
For more than 40 years of Hellenic festival turns to the themes of the Greek classics in the stunning performances on the stage of the ancient theatre of Epidaurus. Although most performances are in Greek, the viewing experience is absolutely not spoil.
What is remarkable
Visit Epidaurus should plan even if You are not a seasoned theatergoer because it’s one of the best preserved from ancient period sites in Greece. It is noteworthy that for a long time the Theatre was hidden from human eyes, and its discovery was almost accidental. In 1954, the structure was restored, and more than 40 years, the stage is being used for its intended purpose as 2500 years ago.
Usually in tourist guides, the Theatre occupies a Central place and is mentioned mostly because of its unique acoustics. I visited there twice and both times I never ceased to wonder at the engineering knowledge needed to possess in the IV century BC to detail to work out the sound issue. The theatre seats up to 14 000 spectators and has 55 rows for the audience, Continue reading
May day celebrations held in Europe. you can make a truly unforgettable, if you aim to visit one of a dozen events that are held here at this time of year. European holidays are guaranteed a happy and well-organized events that do not get bored. So the only thing that really needs to be taken care of in advance is booking the hotel. At this time of the year in Europe held some of the best festivals in the world. So to find decent housing at an affordable price can be difficult.
April 21 — birthday of Rome (Italy)
This is one of the main festivals of the Italian capital with traditional music and local cuisine. Its culmination — the Grand parade, where all the participants are dressed in costumes of the ancient Romans. The procession — the winner of the contest “the Goddess of Rome”, which since 2004 can participate girls from 18 to 30 years old of any nationality.
To swim on the Italian coasts at this time of year, perhaps a little cold. But the perfect comfortable weather for excursions to Venice or fishing villages Cinqueterre in the West.
April 28 – international marine festival in Marmaris (Turkey)
This annual Turkish festival is one of the most respected Continue reading