Folklore and tradition come in a selection of photos of the strangest festivals on five continents.
1. Competition in the highlands of Scotland. Party games, dressed in a traditional Scottish kilt, will compete in the hammer throw, in the contest which is held in Glenfinnan. Traditional Scottish games consist of competitions, dances, food and drinks to relax from everyday work.
2. Beltane Fire Festival, Scotland. “the Celts” with bare torsos raise the torches during the Festival of Beltane fire near Carlton hill in Edinburgh. These annual festivities are a modern revival of the ancient Celtic celebration of the arrival of summer.
3. Holiday naked men. Hadaka Matsuri (literally, the feast of naked men) in Okayama, Japan, is a traditional festival which has been celebrated for 1200 years. Picture was taken in winter, the temperature is about 9 degrees. Men dive into the icy water, passing the rite of purification.
4. Vegetarian festival, Thailand. Believers temple at Bang Neow, participate in the parade of vegetarian festival on Phuket island in Thailand, stick a weapon in itself, in protest. Chinese immigrants gave rise to this Taoist ceremony in 1825, when people who believe in God, ate vegetarian food to be saved from the epidemic.
5. Holiday hens in Wayne, Nebraska. Continue reading
May day celebrations held in Europe. you can make a truly unforgettable, if you aim to visit one of a dozen events that are held here at this time of year. European holidays are guaranteed a happy and well-organized events that do not get bored. So the only thing that really needs to be taken care of in advance is booking the hotel. At this time of the year in Europe held some of the best festivals in the world. So to find decent housing at an affordable price can be difficult.
April 21 — birthday of Rome (Italy)
This is one of the main festivals of the Italian capital with traditional music and local cuisine. Its culmination — the Grand parade, where all the participants are dressed in costumes of the ancient Romans. The procession — the winner of the contest “the Goddess of Rome”, which since 2004 can participate girls from 18 to 30 years old of any nationality.
To swim on the Italian coasts at this time of year, perhaps a little cold. But the perfect comfortable weather for excursions to Venice or fishing villages Cinqueterre in the West.
April 28 – international marine festival in Marmaris (Turkey)
This annual Turkish festival is one of the most respected Continue reading
Germany, of course, not Brazil, but there is a Carnival. In different parts of Germany it is nazvanie Karneval, Fasching or Fastnacht.
Faxing not a public holiday, but don’t underestimate its value. It is no wonder that it is even called “the fifth season”!
This is the time when you gloves, dressing up in costumes, it is not forbidden to have a good drink and just have some fun.
Carnival – it is an opportunity “to select” before the beginning of the Christian Easter Lent, which begins at “ash Wednesday” ( Aschermittwoch – 18 February) and ends on Holy Friday ( Karfreitag — April 3).
The word ” Carnival ” comes from the Latin ” carne levare ” and means “good-bye, meat,” indeed, in the period of lent to eat meat eating is prohibited, and before him – can. The word Fastnacht Fasching and means “the eve of lent.”
However, it is believed that originally the custom of celebrating carnivals – pagan tradition, whose main value was the farewell to winter and welcoming of spring (German Fishing – is analogous to our carnival). The Church is not particularly Continue reading