Folklore and tradition come in a selection of photos of the strangest festivals on five continents.
1. Competition in the highlands of Scotland. Party games, dressed in a traditional Scottish kilt, will compete in the hammer throw, in the contest which is held in Glenfinnan. Traditional Scottish games consist of competitions, dances, food and drinks to relax from everyday work.
2. Beltane Fire Festival, Scotland. “the Celts” with bare torsos raise the torches during the Festival of Beltane fire near Carlton hill in Edinburgh. These annual festivities are a modern revival of the ancient Celtic celebration of the arrival of summer.
3. Holiday naked men. Hadaka Matsuri (literally, the feast of naked men) in Okayama, Japan, is a traditional festival which has been celebrated for 1200 years. Picture was taken in winter, the temperature is about 9 degrees. Men dive into the icy water, passing the rite of purification.
4. Vegetarian festival, Thailand. Believers temple at Bang Neow, participate in the parade of vegetarian festival on Phuket island in Thailand, stick a weapon in itself, in protest. Chinese immigrants gave rise to this Taoist ceremony in 1825, when people who believe in God, ate vegetarian food to be saved from the epidemic.
5. Holiday hens in Wayne, Nebraska. Continue reading
Germany, of course, not Brazil, but there is a Carnival. In different parts of Germany it is nazvanie Karneval, Fasching or Fastnacht.
Faxing not a public holiday, but don’t underestimate its value. It is no wonder that it is even called “the fifth season”!
This is the time when you gloves, dressing up in costumes, it is not forbidden to have a good drink and just have some fun.
Carnival – it is an opportunity “to select” before the beginning of the Christian Easter Lent, which begins at “ash Wednesday” ( Aschermittwoch – 18 February) and ends on Holy Friday ( Karfreitag — April 3).
The word ” Carnival ” comes from the Latin ” carne levare ” and means “good-bye, meat,” indeed, in the period of lent to eat meat eating is prohibited, and before him – can. The word Fastnacht Fasching and means “the eve of lent.”
However, it is believed that originally the custom of celebrating carnivals – pagan tradition, whose main value was the farewell to winter and welcoming of spring (German Fishing – is analogous to our carnival). The Church is not particularly Continue reading
Carnival in Rio — one of the craziest festivals in the world. He staggers a kaleidoscope of brilliant colors, crazy looseness and flexibility of Nude dancers, and the heart makes a beat in the rhythm of the passionate Samba.
The carnival is endless music, fantastic costumes, the joy of transformation, the release of adrenaline in the blood, getting rid of complexes. For Brazil is the law under which he lives, the whole country, and for Brazilians, is a way of life. The festivities of the carnival captures all of Brazil.
The carnival begins in the town of Olinda, where the parade is the oldest dance school “virgins”. This 250 men dressed in women’s dress. Their performance is 10 hours nonstop. And yet the main event of the carnival parade of Samba schools in Rio.
Rio de Janeiro was founded in 1502 by the Portuguese and named the “River of January”. Today Brazilians call their beloved city “cidade maravilhosa”, which means “magic city”. Believe me, they have a reason. During 4 centuries Rio was and remains the capital of beauty and tourism of South America and is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. There is a saying that, creating this city, the Lord outdid himself. And Christ, a huge Continue reading